Sincere Service Jiangsu Telecom Network Management Improvement
- Network KPIs cannot be used to obtain customer experience.
- Service quality cannot be measured, and thus VIP customer experience cannot be guaranteed.
- No end-to-end method and measure to solve customer experience problems is available.
- Establishing a scientific and reasonable customer experience and assessment system.
- Monitoring network QoS in real time.
- Guaranteeing VIP customer experience.
- Performing multidimensional optimization to improve service quality and customer experience.
- A scientific and reasonable customer experience and assessment system is established.
- Service quality is monitored in real time.
- Network KPIs are improved tremendously.
- Customer experience is improved.
With the rapid development of the mobile Internet, the hard strength, for example, clearer voice calls and higher browsing rates can hardly meet customer requirements. Instead, customers desire for more control and more friendly service operation. These are called soft strength. Therefore, the assessment and improvement of the network cannot remain unchanged. A new system is needed accordingly. This new system can monitor network QoS in real time, obtain customer experience information, and thus resolve problems that trouble customers. With this system, the soft strength can be improved.
From the perspective of traditional assessment, the network performance provided by Jiangsu Telecom is almost perfect. However, customers' behavior is changing, and the network QoS of competitors are also improving. Jiangsu Telecom therefore requires a more meticulous and comprehensive network management and improvement measure to find the key factors that affect network performance and customer experience, and to provide powerful support for marketing. Jiangsu Telecom used UniCare CEA products proposed by ZTE to learn how to manage networks more meticulously and establish a global benchmark CDMA network. The following three purposes are expected to be fulfilled:
- Creating a scientific and reasonable assessment system: establishing indicators of quality-of-experience concerning load, data, voice, and services, investigating the relation among MOS, FER, and signaling, and monitoring KPIs on the network side.
- Establishing a benchmark network: deepening the M2N mode and establishing a leading benchmark network.
- Improving system capacity for the future: improving device capacity, overload protection, air interface capacity, and maintenance efficiency.
To fulfill these purposes, Jiangsu Telecom carried on a trial project in Yangzhou. The project was carried on in the following three stages:
- Assessment system establishment: In this stage, a voice experience system, a data experience system, a resource load management system, and a voice MOS monitoring system on the network side are established.
- Specific improvement: improving wireless network QoS by improving both the wireless network and the core network, applying functions with new features, and improving customer experience.
- Future system improvement: Investigating, developing, and verifying new features, improving device capacity, and optimizing mutual operations between 1X and DO.
>>Establishing a Scientific and Reasonable Assessment System
A scientific and reasonable assessment system can not only guide comprehensive optimization to improve the network QoS, but also provide solid theoretical basis for future development. Based on this system, protocols can be defined in the telecommunication industry. After specialists' discussions, the assessment system is based on the scores given to customer distribution in the customer dimension. The following principles are abided by:
- Comprehensibility: End-to-end and multi-aspect customer experience is provided.
- Operability: The system is based on the network optimization platform. It is convenient to obtain data.
- Flexibility: Weights can be adjusted based on different aspects that are concerned in different stages. Therefore, key factors that are emphasized in customer experience can be reflected.
- Objectivity: Invisible customer experience is measured by visible KPIs.
Based on the above principles, the following four benchmark systems are established:
- New service experience system: This system provides the following four customer KPIs: coverage, access, maintenance, and integrity. Each KPI has the corresponding weight to reflect the experience in using the voice service. These KPIs can be used to locate the position that affects network performance. Through adding weights to key indicators that affect customer experience, a comprehensive assessment score that can reflect customer experience is generated. This score is used in VIP customer assessment, VAP customer identification, and used as a purpose for optimizing customer experience.
- Data service experience system: This system manages customer experience. It provides the following four customer KPIs: coverage, access, maintenance, and integrity. Each KPI has the corresponding weight to reflect the experience in using the data service. These KPIs can be used to locate the position that affects network performance. Through adding weights to key indicators that affect customer experience, a comprehensive assessment score that can reflect customer experience is generated. This score is used in VIP customer assessment, VAP customer identification, and used as a purpose for optimizing customer experience.
- Network resource load assessment system: This system uses network load indicator to reflect the load of the network comprehensively. Air interface overload, BSS device overload, and CN overload can be detected. With the information, the network or the corresponding device can be optimized or expanded.
- MOS assessment system: This system collects field information reported by signaling messages, and simulates the MOS value of a call. Through comparison and analysis, the system adjusts the algorithm, and obtains the similar MOS value computed by the traditional algorithm.
>>Constructing a Benchmark Network and Optimizing Different Aspects of the Network
Guided by the scientific and reasonable assessment system, optimization in various aspects is carried out through ZTE UniCare. After the optimization, the network QoS is improved and the management of customer experience is enhanced. Customer experience can then be monitored in real-time and corresponding optimization can be carried out to further improve customer experience. The detailed operations are as follows:
- Quality improvement stage: 1X paging success rate optimization, EV-DO paging success rate optimization, EV-DO—1X switching optimization, EV-DO rate and capacity optimization, EV-DO multicarrier boundary performance improvement, EV-DO Ping milestone offline ratio optimization, and EV-DO session success establishment rate optimization.
- New function research stage: 1X extend LAC research, EV-DO access signaling channel period optimization research, EV-DO overhead information periodization research, distance-based EV-DO paging research, EV-DO paging resending research, EV-DO interference removing research, EV-DO simplifying QC message redundant field research, EV-DO DOS function research, EV-DO second color code research, abnormal terminal authentication lock function, back-switching to DO auxiliary function after DO TO 1X research, EV-DO function control parameter optimization research, EV-DO network load balancing research, and EV-DO intelligent carrier management research.
>>Providing More Considerate Customer Management and Better Network QoS
Since the network management improvement project has been carried out, achievements have been made in the following aspects:
- KQI monitoring: KPI, KQI, and QOE can be obtained based on service types. Indicators can be monitored for HTTP service, communication (QQ) services, and micro blog services. Scores about service quality can be given based on areas, web pages, user groups, and terminals.
- Network service real-time monitoring: Network service indicators are displayed in direct mode, for example, line chart, broken-line chart, and pie chart.
- Module monitoring and scoring: Scores can be given to areas, user groups, and NEs. After the scores are normalized, the service experience quality is displayed.
- VIP/VAP guarantee: VIP customer experience or user group experience is monitored and obtained, and thus better services can be provided to these customers, and therefore, VAP customers can be detected.
- Service experience is associated with CDT wireless indicators, which facilitates fast location.
- Terminal analysis: Terminal types, manufacturers, operating systems, and areas can be analyzed, which provides suggestions for customizing terminals.
- Traditional network indicators are improved, for example, call drop indicators, connection indicators, switching indicators, busy status indicators, and resource usage indicators.
>>Making Consistent Improvement for the Future
Jiangsu Telecom will manage networks more meticulously in the future to improve customer experience constantly. Further research will be carried out in new network features, device capacity improvement, and mutual operation optimization between 1X and DO to continuously improve the quality of the benchmark network. The deployment of UniCare-CEA by Jiangsu Telecom provides a new path for future network management. Based on the traditional KPI assessment system, a new assessment system that focuses on customer experience is established. Based on this new system and the corresponding customer experience management services, the network can be optimized accordingly, which both improves the network QoS and promotes the monitoring and guarantee of customer experience. This new system is like a GPS navigation map. Through managing customer experience, the marketing, operation and maintenance, and construction departments can be more effective and efficient in work, which improves the ARPU and reduces the OPEX.