With the development of cloud computing, cloud storage and big data technology, digital information system based ubiquitous communication is coming. ZTE's ElasticNet future network solution, driven by 5G and ultra wide-band technology, powered by SDN and NFV, cloud computing, big data and openness concept, implement a hierarchical centralized control, unified management, software-defined and flexible future network, which gives carriers and enterprises the ability to build a new type of network and create more business values.
SDN technology is a big change in the field of network technology, which brings a revolutionary impact on the architecture of the network. The core concept of SDN such as separation of forwarding and control, centralized controller, open API provides many new opportunities in network evolution. NFV architecture based on cloud computing, software and hardware decoupling, realizes the horizontal separation of network, which focus on centralized deployment and shorter TTM. NFV also gives more possibility of innovation service, which can be managed effectively and delivered on-demand. The network promoted by SDN/NFV dual-engine can meet the new challenges and the need of the business model in the future, so the network powered by SDN/NFV technology will be the best choice in the future.
In architecture, the ElasticNet solution is combined with orchestration & management layer, service & control layer and forwarding layer, which forms 3-tier architecture along with multi DC of E-DC, D-DC and C-DC. Driven by SDN/NFV dual-engine and orchestrated by MITC-OS, ElasticNet implements the target telecom architecture，sub solution includes：Elastic VDC、Elastic IPSDN、Elastic SDON、Elastic Cloud UniCore，Elastic Conductor etc.
Figure 2：ElasticNet target architecture
- Multi level DCs: The basis of cloud service layers and MICT-OS layers, exist in deferent layers of network, which can be allocated in Edge-DC, District-DC and Center-DC. MICT-OS layer is deployed in C-DC, and cloud service layer is deployed separately in different levels of DCs. The virtualized network element transformed from traditional hard device by NFV technology can share unified cloud infrastructure to achieve automatic deployment and maintenance.
- Orchestration & Management Layer: MICT-OS combines big data, policy control and BSS/OSS, providing software defined network ability and XaaS function. Elastic conductor is responsible for unified orchestrating among SDN controllers and NFVOs to achieve E2E presentation of virtual service function.
- Service & Control layer: Based on NFV framework, along with cloud computing and virtualization technology, constructs software defined network function. It will gradually implement virtualization in different network layers, and come with flexible capacity expansion and automatic deployment and maintenance.
- Forwarding Layer: The basic level of the architecture constructed mainly by SDN based L3 and the lower Optical+IP devices. The separated SDN control plane from bearer layer can be centrally deployed in different levels of DCs with cloud service layer.
ElasticNet solution is designed to achieve a target architecture involving smart pipe and cloud technology. Its vision includes:
- Open network----ElasticNet supports programmable interface, meets the requirements of automatic configuration and flexible service loading; ElasticNet can also integrate with 3rd network solution.
- Simplify management----Network automatic configuration and networking on demand become reality.
- Improve network resource efficiency---- Achieve inter layer, inter domain, inter vendor coordination and E2E service deployment; improve resource utilization and reduce the TTM (time to market), so that to improve the competitiveness of carriers.
- Expand network capability---- Network will be more easy to load new service; network will be able to flexibly customized according to the users’ needs.
- Support innovative business model----Business model is fixed in the traditional network and any change of business model will lead to a lot of re-design and re-deploy work both hardware and software. Based on open API and programmable interface, the business model changing in ElasticNet will become very simple relative to the traditional network.
- Low cost----Replace the CT hardware by IT universal platform, improve the flexibility of the network, save CAPEX and OPEX.